In case you haven’t noticed, I just took a long break from working and blogging. It started around Christmas with a one-week trip to St. Louis, followed by three weeks back home with my mom and nephew visiting from Brazil. It was time to celebrate, eat good food, be out and about and enjoy family time. Now life is back to normal and I’m ready to retreat to my messy garage and – weather permitting – paint, paint, paint. Winter has been pretty harsh this year, even in mild Virginia, and that is certainly one of the things keeping me away from paint.
Now let me tell you the story of this little buffet. I bought it around four years ago at our local Habitat for Humanity Restore back in Connecticut.
I still have the picture I took of it at the store:
I chose the typical farmhouse finish for it. White, stained top, some antiquing glaze and light distress. And I loved it. For four years, it was the perfect addition to our small dining room.
Then last year we moved to a new house in Virginia, and after six months I realized I wasn’t happy with those colors anymore. I still love the simple lines and the perfect storage this piece offers, so I couldn’t bring myself to sell it, but I decided it needed a radical change.
Most of our walls are white, and so far we are being very discreet with our decoration. Lots of white, walnut, light painted furniture and no bold colors. It was actually getting a little boring and that’s why I decided to go bold. I narrowed my choices down to two: royal blue (you know I love me blues) and bright orange. My husband voted for orange, so that was the winner. I chose “Tuscan Orange” by Fusion Mineral Paint, one of the most beautiful shades of orange out there.
Here is how it looks now!
What a difference right?
Here is a list of supplies I used to paint it. (This post contains a few affiliate links)
- Preparation and Painting Supplies:
First I light sanded the entire piece to remove most of the external coat of sealer from the previous finish.
I removed all hardware and closed the holes with Bondo, since I wanted to replace the old pulls and knobs for more modern ones.
I then removed the dust with a clean rag and wiped the piece with TSP diluted in water.
Next I primed the entire piece with red primer. I chose red because it was the closest color to orange, which always helps to get a better coverage.
I sprayed three coats of Tuscan Orange. A perfect finish in orange usually takes three or four coats. Even so, only one pint of paint was enough for this project. I waited each coat to be completely dry before applying the next one, and I light sanded between coats to achieve the smooth finish I was looking for.
Finally I sprayed three coats of General Finishes Topcoat, Satin and after it was all dry I drilled the holes on the the doors and installed the new hardware.
And now… more pictures of my old-new happy buffet!
Let me know your thoughts below in the comments.
Thanks for reading!
I’m sharing this post on this awesome link parties!