If you are familiar with my furniture work, you know that most of my pieces have a very simple finish. I normally spray paint them in one or two colors, and a few of them have stained top and/or maybe some distress or antiquing effect.
This time I wanted to try something different. I decided to do go for a more artistic look, and with the growing number of furniture artists out there, it is not hard to find inspiration. I was also very inspired by what I’ve been learning in my watercolor classes.
As a kid and teenager, I loved drawing and painting, but as I grew older and it was time to choose what I wanted to be when I grew up, I discarded the “artist” option completely. To me, and to everybody else I knew back then, being an artist meant you’d inevitably become an art teacher if you needed to make a living and pay your bills. And I didn’t want to be a teacher. Long story short, I graduated in marketing and had many years of a boring and stressful career in the corporate world.
Well, 30 years later, here I am. Flirting again with my teenage years crush… art. After we moved to Virginia, I found myself with more free time, so I decided to use that time to learn something new. My choice was watercolor, and I’m totally hooked!
I’ve been drawing and painting every day for the last month and it has been a lot of fun. Very challenging as well as I’m trying different media for the fist time. Ink, watercolor, acrylics… I decided to create both an Instagram and Facebook account to post my art projects. Feel free to follow me and watch my progress over time, because I intend to keep doing this for a long time. Constructive feedback is more than welcome and if you also post your art on social media, please leave your link in the comments below!
OK, back to my nightstand! (This post contains a few affiliate links)
I forgot to take the “before” picture of it, so you have to use your imagination.
First I painted the entire piece in lamp white. When it was dry, I blended the three colors in my brush and applied it to the piece in circular movements, without aiming for any particular pattern, though I wanted it to vaguely resemble a cloudy sky.
From time to time I dipped my brush in water to help with the blending and avoid harsh brush strokes.
When I achieved the look I wanted, I let it dry, then sealed it with General Finishes Top Coat, satin.
I also replaced the dated knobs with these super-cute swallow knobs I bought from this Etsy Shop. I was not happy with the dark color of the metal knobs, so I used the leftover Modern Master Metallic Colors I used for this project and painted the swallows in black, blue and pewter.
This piece is for sale. If you know someone who might be interested, feel free to share the link to my shop. (Shipping within the US can be arranged for a fee).
And now… the pictures.
Thanks for reading!
I’m sharing this post on this awesome link parties!