With summer vacations coming to an end and my boys starting school in two days I can finally go back to blogging more often. (At least that is my goal!) I know there is only a few of you following me, but I can’t help feeling a little guilty for my long silence. I hope you also follow me on Facebook and Instagram as it is much easier to squeeze a few minutes in my crazy busy mama days to post pictures of my projects on social media.
I’m here today to show you this beautiful highboy I finished for a client right after we got back home from our vacation trip to Brazil.
My client found this treasure in a local tag sale. A lady needed to get rid of her entire bedroom set on that same day so she was giving everything away! They snapped up this chest of drawers and were coming back for the dresser, but the lady couldn’t wait, so she took the dresser to the dump. Life is so unfair sometimes!
You can tell by the before picture that it was in very good shape, so at least I didn’t have to spend so much time prepping it for painting.
Here is how I did it:
- Sanded down the top and stained it with General Finishes Java Gel Stain.
- Sealed top with Minwax Polyuretane spray, satin.
- Cleaned the main piece and drawers with TSP diluted in water, repaired the scratches with wood filler and light sanded everything.
- Applied Rustoleum primer spray (gray) on the entire piece and drawers.
- Sprayed Benjamin Moore Graphite, satin with my Homeright paint sprayer.
- “Glazed” main body and drawers with Minwax Provincial stain. I applied it with a cheap brush and removed excess with a rag making linear movements.
- After 24 hours, sealed the painted areas with Minwax Polycrylic.
I love the final result! Let me know what you think.
Look how beautiful the original pulls are! They just needed a good cleaning.
It feels good to be back.
Thanks for reading!