Ah, the French Provincial… I was missing them. Last year I painted at least a dozen of them, and was starting to suspect my area was running out of that style because it’s been a while since no one brings me one.
Last week a new customer brought me this cutie. Her boss was cleaning up her house and getting rid of old pieces, so she scored this gem for free! This is good stuff. Every single bit of it is solid wood. It is the dream dresser! Sturdy, well built, and the drawers slide like new.
Her choice of color was black with silver pulls, so I knew exactly what paint I was going to use. If you saw my post on the Tuxedo Hutch, where I rant about the problems I had trying to seal regular black latex paint, you must remember my great discovery: Valspar Furniture Paint.
Again, I used my paint sprayer (this paint doesn’t behave so well with a roller or paintbrush) and after it was ready I was, once again, absolutely in love with the paint. Just look at the pictures and see it for yourself. Isn’t this one of the smoothest finish you’ve seen lately?
How I did it:
- Light sanded the entire piece and used wood filler to fix dents and scratches.
- Cleaned with TSP diluted in water
- Primed with Rustoleum Primer Spray, black
- Sprayed 4 coats of Valspar Furniture Paint “New Black” using my Homeright paint sprayer ( I add a bit of water to lightly thin the paint)
- Spray painted pulls with Rustoleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish.
Have you tried that paint? Let me know what you think.
Thanks for reading!