The little gray and pink sideboard I painted a few weeks ago was a quite popular piece. Like me, most people loved the surprise hot pink on the inside, even knowing it will be hidden most of the time. It’s just nice to know it is there, and that every time you open the cabinet it will make you smile. It gives the piece a happy soul.
Knowing that I would be doing it all over again on this big lady made me excited to wake up and go to work.
I got a lot of questions on how I painted the sideboard so, for this one, I decided to take the time and show you the step by step. (Scroll down to the bottom if you just want to see the pictures of the final result).
What I used:
Rust-oleum bright coat spray paint for the knobs.
Rust-oleum Primer Spray – gray for the outside
Rust-oleum Primer Spray – white for the inside
Benjamin Moore Steel Wool – satin (outside)
Valspar Passionate Peony – satin (inside)
Black glaze – Valspar Clear Glaze mixed with black latex paint (ratio 4:1)
Cheap brush to apply glaze.
Minwax polycrylic satin to seal.
This gorgeous buffet was in fairly good shape, but there were some scratches and damaged veneer that needed love and care.
This is the wood filler I’ve been using lately for more serious damages. It is super hard, similar to bondo and won’t shrink or break after it dries.
I spray painted the knobs with silver spray paint.
After sanding and cleaning the whole piece I sprayed white primer on the inside and gray primer on the outside. No need to tape at this point as this is just to prepare the piece for the paint.
After the primer was dry, I sprayed the inside of cabinets and drawers with Valspar Passionate Peony.
After a couple of hours, when the pink was dry, I sprayed Ben Moore Steel Wool on the outside. This time I painted and covered all pink areas to avoid overspray.
I waited until the day after to apply the glaze. I used a cheap brush to apply it, covering one small area at a time, pushing it into all nooks and crannies, and immediately wiping most of it off with a baby wipe.
Finally, after the piece was dry, I sealed it with Minwax polycrylic spray.
Voilà! The big sister was ready, and I was not disappointed 🙂
Thanks for reading.